July 7, 2013

Tale Behind the Tat

I have been contemplating getting a tattoo for a few months now.  I knew where I wanted the tattoo to go....on my left wrist. I knew that I wanted the infinity symbol~ It has intrigued me for a while now.  INFINITY : Unlimited extent of time, space, or quantity: boundlessness   While I completely accept the notion that "nothing lasts forever", I do believe that one's way of thinking can be unchanging.

The infinity symbol by itself was too...."bland", if you will. This is a tattoo we are talking about here! Nt something that I could wash off in a few months if I got tired of it. I wanted...needed something with more meaning. Something that would be a reminder every time I looked at my wrist & something that would be backed with a great story to tell when asked about it. At that moment, I knew I wanted a meaningful word put in the symbol. I thought about this & thought about it.  Going through different words..."family", "love", "strength". Then "courage" came to me from nowhere. Yes! This was the word I needed to complete the tat. I started praying about it. The idea of the permanence of my choice was haunting me.  Not like ghosts or something like that, but more like butterflies in my tummy. I had an uneasy feeling about it. Then I started doubting.  A couple weeks later, I was on the way to tupelo with my mom. That's when I heard it...the word that would make my tattoo complete, perfect & full of meaning ~FEARLESS~ 

Now to see it drawn out....I tried to do it myself. That was a disaster. I made attempts to have other people draw it out. That never happen. A month or so later, I ended up in a tattoo shop with a friend of mine while she was getting "inked up". That's the cool term for getting a tattoo...I think. While there, I talked to the tattoo artist about what I wanted & where I wanted it to see if it was even possible ( I have extremely small wrists).  He said it was & was nice enough to draw out my lil creation. It was perfect & just what I had pictured in my head. 

I have stared at this every day for the past few months in an attempt to prepare myself for the permanence of a tattoo. I have prayed about it & prayed about it some more...after all, God is my best friend.  I had it confirmed multiple times, that this, indeed, is what I am suppose to have.  In a couple of days (hopefully), the symbol that you see above, that means so much to me, will have a permanent
spot on my left wrist. Every time I glance down, I will be reminded to always be fearless...no matter what.


1 John 4:18  There is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 
Proverbs 3:25-26 Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for The Lord will be at your side and will keep our foot from being snared. 
Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation-whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life-whom shall I be afraid? 
Proverbs 29:25  Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe. 
Isaiah 35:4  Be strong, do not fear, your God will come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment